Look what comes up from the depths of the sea.

Look what comes up from the depths of the sea.
After you read, feel free to make a comment or ask a question in the comment box. You can sign up as a follower on the right, or you can sign up by e-mail at the bottom if you would like to follow the whole year. You may also chose to simply read along and make no comments. Whatever you choose. If you fall behind, as most people will do, don't worry...the whole year is here and you can catch up at your own speed. I highly encourage you to stick with it, If you read the Bible, you are going to mine some real jewels and insights.

Friday, November 4, 2011

Matthew 23; Luke 20-21

We are drawing ever nearer to Jesus' crucification....we are midweek before it.....Jesus gets firmer with the religious leaders.  Count how many times Jesus uses the word "blind" in this chapter.  Then count how many times he uses the phrase "Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites".  Enough said

Luke gives his account of many of the parables we read yesterday.  I especially like how he says in 20: 37-evven Moses showed that the dead rise, for he calls the Lord "the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob.  He is not the God of the dead, but of the living......this is major Resurrection talk, and I like this explanation of a difficult passage.  Did you notice that the Sadducees who say there is no resurrection ask about the resurrection.....Jesus is so smart in his reply of pointing out the resurrection by someone the think is the ultimate teacher:  Moses.

I love Chapter 21...Beth Moore uses it in her Revelation lectures of pointing out what the end times will look like.....are we end the end times?  Have you seen any of these examples?  Jesus will return and we need to remain watchful, not weighed down with dissipation, drunkenness and the anxieties of life.....are you living that way?????

2 comments:

  1. ya know how you said notice when something is repeated.....I have noticed this one....Matthew 23:12 "And whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted." I think we have read this one a couple of times already...

    My Bible says the when He says "woe to you, scribes and Pharisee, hypocrites" he is calls hypocrites, fools, blind, and serpents. He is talking harshly to those he loves because sometimes that is the only language that make get through to those you love.....speaking harsh.

    Ok...I just read your part and was just about to ask if Luke 21:7-28 was about the end of times....I thought I remembered some of this from Beth Moore or our discussion....I am starting to connect some that I here in one place to something I read in another....

    21:36....God wants us to always pray that we can escape certain trials and tribulations that will happen. We need to pray that God will spare us from unnecessary suffering..

    Yes....I do live with anxieties.....but I do believe many of us humans do.....but I do pray and ask for forgiveness and am trying to learn and apply my readings and what I learn in my life......it is a slow process but I am trying.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I love it when these things start coming together. Good catch on the Beth Moore reference! I love reading stuff from the Bible and then hearing the words in a song and I can say, "I didn't know that was taken from the Bible"...these Ah-hah moments are my favorite. May you continue to have them for the rest of your life!

    ReplyDelete