Look what comes up from the depths of the sea.

Look what comes up from the depths of the sea.
After you read, feel free to make a comment or ask a question in the comment box. You can sign up as a follower on the right, or you can sign up by e-mail at the bottom if you would like to follow the whole year. You may also chose to simply read along and make no comments. Whatever you choose. If you fall behind, as most people will do, don't worry...the whole year is here and you can catch up at your own speed. I highly encourage you to stick with it, If you read the Bible, you are going to mine some real jewels and insights.

Monday, October 24, 2011

John 9:1-10:21

Jesus heals a man who was born blind.   I love that Jesus meets needs without being asked to do so at times.   In that culture, Jews thought that if someone had health issues that they or their parents had sinned.  In this case, Jesus tells us that the man was born blind so that he could be healed and credit the glory to God.


Bonnie:  here is the pool of Siloam again...Jesus told the healed blind man to wash in the Pool of Siloam.  He then began to be a witness of God's power as the people questioned him.  The Pharisees were jealous of Jesus' increasing popularity.   The healed blind man's faith was severely tested by them...he was evicted from the synagogue.....he got spiritual eyes opened along with his physical eyes opened.  Then the Pharisees were shocked that Jesus thought they were spiritually blind.  Sin can blind!!!!!!

The next account is Jesus as the Good Shepherd....Jesus is the gate in this story.   He is the ONLY way to get to God.  The whole purpose of this story is in verse 10:10-"I have come that they may have live, and have it to the full". Also, Jesus points out that he didn't come just for the Jews:  look at verse 16: I have other sheep that are ot of this sheep pen.  I must bring them also.  They too will listen to  my voice, and there shall be one flock and one shepherd.  That is US-the Gentiles.  Verses 17 and 18 talk about Jesus' death and resurrection:

The reason my Father loves me is that I lay down my life-only to take it up again.  No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord.


At these words the Jews were divided.....what do you think you would have done if you heard those kinds of words?  Would you focus in on your faith?  Would you be skeptical?

2 comments:

  1. ya know....he has been mentioning his own death to come lately to the disciples....and He does it again in 17-18......and even though I know what happens.....it still bothers me and I don't like the upcoming event on the cross.......but I know I should be very grateful for this because He died for my sins......but I just hate that He had to die......it still sad....does that make sense?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know... It is so sad... However if Jesus didn't become sin on the cross, we could never be near God...God hates sin and can't be near it. Jesus had all the same human emotions you are having...He asks God to take that cup from him if possible, but then says not my will but Yours be done.....

    ReplyDelete