Look what comes up from the depths of the sea.

Look what comes up from the depths of the sea.
After you read, feel free to make a comment or ask a question in the comment box. You can sign up as a follower on the right, or you can sign up by e-mail at the bottom if you would like to follow the whole year. You may also chose to simply read along and make no comments. Whatever you choose. If you fall behind, as most people will do, don't worry...the whole year is here and you can catch up at your own speed. I highly encourage you to stick with it, If you read the Bible, you are going to mine some real jewels and insights.

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Acts 20:4-23:35

Now we are back in Acts.  Remember that Luke is the author of this book.  Paul travels with several men that represent the new churches that have started.  They are taking the offering of these churches to Jerusalem....here is Patricia's perspective:


Acts 20:4- chapter23

OK, we have been away from Acts a little so let’s recap.  Paul left Ephesus, spent time in Corinth and then returned through Macedonia and now is sailing away again.  This is the end of Paul’s three Mission trips which covered about 12 years. (the map above we are the teal line, if you notice the next one is one-way)  Paul visited or planted  churches in major cities throughout Asia Minor (Turkey) and Greece.  Truly the Epi-center of the world at the time.
Paul is determined to take this great offering to Jerusalem no matter the cost.  The offering was collected out of brotherly love and kindness between both Jews and Gentiles.  Paul arrives in Jerusalem in June 58′ , making this his 5th recorded visit to Jerusalem since his Road to Damascus experience.  Rumors are hot regarding Paul about his “purpose”.   Some in Jerusalem accuse him of turning people away from the Law of Moses.  Just like when Jesus came, Paul never did that.  Paul came to preach that the Law was to point to the Christ, Paul is still respectful of Jewish Law but as an Act of Jesus not to replace Jesus.
Paul does many things here in Jerusalem to prove his Jewish heritage like paying the expense of the vow for 4 men, spoke in Aramaic (ch 22) and even name dropped that he had been mentored by the great rabbi Gamiel.  I want you to picture Paul, possibly standing in the very place Jesus stood before Pilate, being unfairly tried, just as Paul is.  Paul continues with his testimony and the crowd was fine UNTIL the word Gentile came up.  The Jews in Jerusalem were exclusive and prideful and would not lump themselves in with the dirty Gentiles.
Paul is then on the flogging block (ummm have you seen The Passion), when he plays the card that God had dealt him and that is Roman status!  The man about to flog him was actually inferior to Paul himself.   The next day Paul stands in front of the very Council he was once a member of.  He Admitted it in his testimony, he admitted that he would hold the clothes of the men that were stoning Stephen,  (go back to Acts 8) so they wouldn’t get dirty or blood splattered if their rock hit a major artery (it can squirt 30 ft from the body I heard).  Think of the transformation truly made in Paul!!
Anyway, the read ends today with a Roman Army rescuing Paul (can you imagine the look on the conspiring Jews face when 200 soldiers, 70 horses,  and 200 spearmen came in for Paul) And is taken to Governor Felix (the position Pilate use to have and is in Prison but in the Palace. (God is s Good)

4 responses to this post.

  1. Posted by Angie Hamstra on December 12, 2010 at 8:42 am
    I want to be like Paul.
    20:23-24 “And now, compelled by the Spirit, I am going to Jerusalem, not knowing what will happen to me there. I only know that in every city the Holy Spirit warns me that prison and hardships are facing me. However, I consider my life worth nothing to me; my only aim is to finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me—the task of testifying to the good news of God’s grace.
    21:12-14 When we heard this, we and the people there pleaded with Paul not to go up to Jerusalem. 13 Then Paul answered, “Why are you weeping and breaking my heart? I am ready not only to be bound, but also to die in Jerusalem for the name of the Lord Jesus.” 14 When he would not be dissuaded, we gave up and said, “The Lord’s will be done.”
    23:11 Lord stood near Paul and said, “Take courage! As you have testified about me in Jerusalem, so you must also testify in Rome.”
  2. Posted by Laura Frost on December 14, 2010 at 6:59 am
    I know I am a little behind…it happens :) but I had never read this part in Acts 21:17 etc. I am perplexed as to why Paul would go along with this in Jerusalem and then it seems he condemns similar practices in the book of Galatians. What am I missing?
  3. Laura, God gave me this story last week to mentor a woman on her choices. I love this story. Paul has already settled the “law” not needing to be fulfilled in Galatians, and even earlier in Acts with the council, but here is the deal. If he refused to take part in this ritual would he have an opportunity to share the Gospel with these men? I think we can stand so high on what we know is right for the wrong purpose.
    Here is an example of how I messed this one up years ago. I was invited to an infant baptism. I have very strong feelings about it since I researched the origin of it and I actually refused to go. And I let them know why (uggg I don’t have a filter sometimes) Well, what opportunities did I miss? Was it worth it? Did I look soooo different from them that they would never come to me now with questions about Jesus.
    We have to be so careful that we do not conform to the World, but we need not look like the enemy either. Had Paul NOT taken the vow and the purification ritual He would have been doing more damage than good to the spreading of the Gospel.
  4. I just read this and loved it “Be wise in the way you act toward outsiders; make the most of every opportunity. Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone. Col 4:5

Leave a Reply

1 comment:

  1. Paul has a hard time here.....people throwing him in jail, beating him....plotting to kill him.....

    ReplyDelete